Some people are in the market for what they call a “mutually beneficial relationship.” Of course, the name eludes to a broader definition that encompasses more than a simple answer—and that’s exactly what the relationship is about. A mutually beneficial relationship is an arrangement between two people where they both gain something from being in a relationship with someone. For example, an attractive man might find it mutually beneficial to date an older woman who enjoys his company in exchange for the perks of her lifestyle: nice cars, fancy restaurants, etc.
As long as both parties are benefiting in a mutual capacity, any relationship could technically fall under this umbrella. Many people are looking for a mutually beneficial relationship because they think of it more like an arrangement and don’t want the emotions of a relationship. It’s a pragmatic approach, for some, and it’s one way that people get what they want out of relationships without sticking to traditional “norms” like dating and so forth.
So, what is mutually beneficial relationship territory like? Ultimately, it can be whatever you want. That’s part of the appeal for many.
Mutually Beneficial Doesn’t Have to Mean Money or Sex
While most relationships involve sexual relations of some kind, that’s not necessarily always going to be the case. There is an entire demographic of people who consider themselves asexual and who wouldn’t be looking for a sexual relationship. Some people already have a good sex life and might just want a sugar daddy, say, for fancy dates and feeling spoiled from time to time. Meanwhile, the man gets the company of a beautiful woman and everyone wins.
A lot of mutually beneficial arrangements are sugar arrangements or those between a sugar daddy (or momma) and a sugar baby. The former generally showers gifts and appreciation on the latter, while the latter enjoys the opportunity to be spoiled and provides companionship, sex, intimacy, or whatever else is desired. Two people can hammer out the details themselves, but there are plenty of these relationships that have nothing to do with money or sex.
Where to Find Mutually Beneficial Relationships
The world of online dating is changing the way that people meet. This makes it easy to connect with others for a mutually beneficial relationship, no matter what you have in mind. This is essentially a “contractual romance” and you can find partners just about anywhere that you would look for them traditionally.
This could also be considered a “friends with benefits” type arrangement, so sites like Tinder and other hookup and dating sites could be the ideal place. However, you can also find sites dedicated specifically to dating and unique arrangements like mutually beneficial relationships so that you know you’re only connecting with people that have the same interests and intentions as you. [Read: 10 Important Questions to Ask a Sugar Daddy]
The Benefits of Mutually Beneficial Dating
Now that we’ve answered the “what”, let’s talk about what is mutually beneficial relationship perks and advantages. If you are looking for a mutually beneficial relationship, you’ll find benefits like:
- No strings attached or big expectations. You’ll just be able to have the relationship that you want, on the terms that you want, without the extra baggage.
- Financial or emotional benefits exchange. Some people will use mutually beneficial relationships to shower someone with money and affection in exchange for their company and companionship. There’s nothing wrong with this if everyone agrees, and it’s not considered illegal or prostitution unless payment is explicitly and directly made for sex or sexual favors.
- No drama. Who doesn’t love a drama-free relationship? If you’re already married or even if you’re single but tired of the drama, you might just want someone that you can call for a good time. Leave the relationship b.s. at the door, right? This is the ideal situation for everyone involved, which is why the drama can be avoided.
- Always getting what you want. When you have an arrangement that’s specifically designed to cater to your needs, you’ll never have to worry about going without. You can get whatever you want from this relationship by going into it with an up-front, honest assessment of what you want from the experience.
- Freedom and fewer things to worry about. When you have a mutual arrangement, you likely also have an agreement that you owe each other nothing and are entitled to your freedom. That’s a great way to enjoy people’s company and still have your alone time to do as you please. Today, it’s a popular option for those who aren’t quite ready to settle down.
These are just a few of the perks of entering into a mutually beneficial relationship. There are several arrangements that can fall into this category, including sugar baby and sugar daddy (or momma) relationships. Any relationship where two people have an agreement to share time and space romantically or otherwise in exchange for something else, it qualifies. That’s what many people love about these arrangements—they can literally be anything that you want. [Read: How to Get a Sugar Daddy to Give You Money]
Consider What You Want
Of course, the mutually beneficial relationship isn’t for everyone. It’s going to be up to you to take the time to consider whether this is the right route for your next dating adventure or if you should consider something else. There are several perks to be had if you just want to have some fun, but if you’re looking for more commitment, this isn’t where you’ll find it.
The Internet has made it easy for people to date in all kinds of new ways and to do so discreetly, even when they’re already in a relationship. Of course, you’ll want to make sure that you’re honest with the person you’re considering seeing about your current relationship status. Remember, above all else, honesty and openness are the keys to success.
Mutually beneficial relationships can work out really well when everyone is on the same page and no one is disillusioned about what’s going on. If you’re rethinking traditional dating, consider this alternative and what it could offer you.